Squeezing The Dummy

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

OzOne

Tonight I'll be playing an exhibition match against the OzOne team on BBO. I'll be playing with David Grainger, Bart Bramley, and Jay Stiefel.

A wealthy donor founded the OzOne project in order to increase the standard of the Australian teams sent for international competition. They have recruited some of the best talent in Australia to work on their partnerships and become great, much like the Dallas Aces of old. Part of their training is playing exhibition matches on BBO which they do regularly.

Our opponents tonight will be Richman and Nagy with Hans and Nunn at the other table. I met both pairs for the first time last year in the Cavendish and have since seen them at NABCs (North American nationals). I even got to play a session with Hans on BBO.

Richman and Nagy play a variant of MOSCITO, a system that I have never played against since it is illegal in most of the tournaments I play in. As far as I can tell it is a very active strong club system with transfer openings, 4 card majors, and weak NT. I am really excited to play against this system and I think it will be a good learning experience. You never know, sometime in the future I may be playing against this system at a world championship so practicing against it could turn out to be very useful.

Needless to say I don't know the best way to defend against MOSCITO or the 1-level openers, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know before 7:00 central tonight. Thanks!

Update: We won 53-13 in a 20 board match. I'll try to post a match report at some point.

Labels: ,

48 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home